REPORTING MANAGER: Head – Projects
Job Purpose: Head of Design assumes leadership role for all Design related matters in the Projects. The position manages the Design & Project Partners and critically evaluates the Schematic Design, Design Development, Construction Documents, Bidding and Negotiation, Construction Administration, etc. The onus of the role is to ensure Project Designs are practical from user perspective, functional and accurate.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Technical Expertise:
- Act as a technical expert with regard to specialized designs and offer support with regard to ensuring a quality design process.
- Demonstrate a high degree of competence, capabilities, and architectural experience resulting from progressive responsibilities.
- Make independent decisions on architectural problems and methods.
- Design Management:
- Co-ordinate efficient outsourcing/off-shoring of workload. Ensure technical deliverables are produced within the required timescales, costs are properly managed within the fee and change is tightly controlled and scope properly managed.
- Be accountable for the quality of all design deliverables and technical delivery of design cost solutions.
- Stakeholder Management:
- Ensure relevant stakeholders are involved in design and the operational requirements are integrated into designs.
- Interface with the Architect & Design Partners at a technical and contract level. Rigorously challenge and critically evaluate designs to ensure efficiency.
- Safety & Risk Mitigation in design and construction:
- Take care to eliminate health and safety risks in the design.
- Determine and manage risks that may affect the project in any way, particularly schedule, budget or quality/specifications.
- Responsible for ensuring compliance with all regulations and standards.
- Supervise the preparation and check for accuracy of the contract documents.
- Ensure implementation of applicable regulations, construction techniques and sequences in various projects including all aspects of cross disciplines.
- Corporate Responsibility & Sustainability:
- Focus on ensuring sustainability in Design (Eg. Energy & Carbon footprint).
- Provide input & feedback on finding the best design solutions to meet various Sustainability standards.
- Team Management:
- Encourage and inspire the design consultants to produce their best work using their full flair, experience, resources and talents in a cost-effective way, sequence, quality and within the schedule to achieve Project timescales/milestones.
- Design/Quality Audit:
- Either lead the process of Design Audits or work along with the Quality Head to conduct design audits at the beginning of the project before construction begins, midway through the project and on completion of the project construction before handing over by projects to the Sales/CRM team.
- Being available to the Sales/CRM team to respond to any design related customer queries and to address any design related issues in the final product.
Qualifications and Work Experience:
- Degree in Architecture. Outstanding design thinker and planner.
- Minimum 15 years of experience; responsible for significant project activities for at-least 10 years.
- Experience in managing a large design team, with the ability to steer them in new directions, motivate and inspire.
- Good forward planner and excellent motivator who can work together with various stakeholders and ensure production of coordinated and coherent design.
- Good people skills, ability present ideas effectively and be able to evaluate the ideas of others whilst in meetings.
- In-depth knowledge of all aspects of a construction project and an efficient document manager.
Knowledge, Skills and Competencies:
- Technical capacity.
- Communication proficiency.
- Collaboration skills.
- Results driven.
- Requires broad training, education, and experience in architectural design, analysis, report writing, oral presentations, and client relations.
Indicative KRA’S and Measures:
(Measures to be devised based on annual business goals / targets and priorities)
- Ability to review design outputs from the point of view of functionality, aesthetics and time, cost, quality parameters. No design related snags after the project is implemented post approval by Design Leader.
- Adherence to all set deadlines with overall responsibility for the design outputs from the allocated Projects.
- Responsibility to ensure design consultants/partners deliver required services (drawings, specifications, estimating packs) on time and to cost/quality standards and the design criteria.
- Ensure statutory and environmental compliance in planned work systems and construction drawings and details on the mitigation measures to various stakeholders.
- Savings on the Capital cost/ change order costs. Construction time improvement.
- Cost and Time predictability.
- Greenfield design ideas introduced or Implementation of the Design Best practices.